Outlook name cache not updating
They've stopped receiving new mail in the inbox on the laptop, however their Black Berrys are still receiving mail normally.When I disable outlook's cached mode and restart outlook their inbox populates normally with all emails.What issues do you forsee if I was to try exporting the user's entire mailbox to a .pst, removing their store on the exchange server, recreating the store, then importing the pst file to recreate their email/calendar/addressbook If you copy everything to a pst and make sure it has everything that you need (don't forget contacts and calendar).You should then be able to remove the users account and recreate it.i've tried the standard troublehsooting YHMadmin has tried (outlook profiles/ new OST/ log on as affected user on different PC/ updating service packs / disabling AV on Exchange server) save the last portion with exmerging mailbox. access via non-cached mode and Treo / Goodlink were fine. The other person found a bad / corrupt email message which after deleted allowed cached mode to work again. there are two corrupt files in these users mailboxes. I can't seem to find them to delete them because it's called "attached image" and it could be anywhere in their thousands of emails.I wasn't successful in moving the affected mailboxes to another store/server so I broke down and did the eseutil repair on the affected store. i'm waiting for the other user to get back from a trip to verify that it fixed for him as well.
I've effectively lost even more emails in cached mode.An example of an add-in which has caused a lot of issues is the “Outlook Change Notifier”. Note that this is just an example; other add-ins can cause the same issues as well.When installing i Tunes, it also installs an Outlook add-in called Outlook Change Notifier.Once those emails were deleted the issue disappeared. In Outlook look in the "Synch Issues" folder on said computer.There will be a message with the name of the offending email.